The MSU Mankato Geology program is designed to meet the learning and career needs of our students. Geologists are at the forefront of pressing environmental and resource issues. To train Geologists for the jobs and challenges of the future, we offer the B.S. degree in Geology. We also offer a Certificate in Environmental Geology.
Our students benefit from a strong Geology "core" program as well as affiliations with:
- Department of Geography (Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing)
- Water Resources Program (water quality)
- Environmental Sciences
- Civil Engineering
Graduates of the Geology program have been very successful in launching directly into industry or government careers or going on to graduate school.
- Engineering Geology (making the earth ready for highways, buildings, bridges, dams, etc.)
- Environmental Geology (understanding geologic hazards such as earthquakes, landslides, and the like, and protecting people from them)
- Natural Resources Management (conserving and protecting land and water resources)
- Resources Development (extracting building materials, water, metals, and oil/gas from the earth)
- Teaching (sharing concepts and experiences with the next generation of Earth citizens)