Undergraduate ProgramPage address: http://cset.mnsu.edu/mece/ce/programs/
The goal of the Civil Engineering program at Minnesota State University, Mankato is to provide students with an excellent civil engineering education in a high quality learning environment and strong faculty-student interaction.
Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Civil Engineering Program at Minnesota State University, Mankato, is to provide a broad-based education that will enable graduates to enter practice in the civil engineering profession, serving the needs of the State of Minnesota and the Nation.
Program Educational Objectives
Within 3-6 years of graduation, graduates of the civil engineering program at Minnesota State University, Mankato are expected to contribute to the profession and to society as a whole by achieving a combination of the following milestones.
- Based on their strong technical foundation in civil engineering, they have advanced professionally to increased levels of responsibility, have successfully transitioned into business or management, or have successfully completed an advanced degree.
- They have become a registered professional engineer.
- They have demonstrated an ability to communicate technical information through technical reports and/or proposals, development of plans and specifications, presentations to the public, published papers and articles, and/or conference presentations.
- They have participated in continuing education or pursued additional industry certification.
- They have participated in, or served as an officer of a local, regional, or national professional engineering society, standards committee, or state/local board.
Other important features of an education in civil engineering at Minnesota State University, Mankato include:
- Senior students work together as a design team in a full academic year course incorporating multiple civil engineering disciplines in a comprehensive design project.
- Students work closely with engineers from design firms and government agencies, and with faculty and students from other engineering courses in the senior design project.
- Students take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam usually in their senior year - the first step towards professional registration.
- The flexible curriculum allows the students to have either a diverse or focused civil engineering study.
- The faculty maintain ties to industry, thereby keeping current with new technologies, design methodologies, and the world of civil engineering practice — a valuable resource for students.