Physics ShowPage address: http://cset.mnsu.edu/pa/activities/show.html
The Physics Show
Dr. Lou explodes a balloon
The Physics Show is a demonstration of physics "magic" by MSU physics professors and students. The show is intended for the general public, especially for the elementary and secondary school students. Unlike the magic shows performed by magicians, where they keep their tricks secret, the physics "magic" can all be explained using simple physics principles and can be performed at home with some practice. The purpose of the presentation is to show people that physics is an experimental science, it is exciting, and it can be a lot of fun!
The Physics Show is normally held in the spring of even years. Next show will be on Tuesday, April 17th, 2018, from 7 to 8 PM, in Trafton Science Center TC 121. Announcements will be sent out to local schools in the spring. Admission is free.
Free parking is available in lot 20 at the corner of Warren Street and Stadium Road, on in other campus lots. For further information call 507-389-5743.
See Highlights of the 2007 Physics Show!
The 2018 Physics Show Team:
- Dr. Thomas Brown, Assistant Professor of Physics
- Dr. Analía Dall'Asén, Associate Professor of Physics
- Dr. Igor Kogoutiouk, Professor of Physics
- Dr. Jorge Méndez, Assistant Professor of Physics
- Dr. Andrew Roberts, Professor of Physics
- Mr. Michael Peters, Physics Technician and Engineering Aide Senior
- Physics Club members (Physics and Astronomy students)
Dr. Russ suspends a beach ball in mid-air
Examples of demonstrations you may see at the next Physics Show:
- A closed can that is induced to collapse on itself.
- A cannon that fires smoke rings.
- A physics professor driving a nail with a banana.
- A magic book that makes a spinner levitate above it.
- A glass beaker shattered by sound waves.
- A vacuum cannon that shoots ping pong balls.
- A physics professor sandwiched between two boards – each containing 2000 nails – with a concrete block on top, which is then smashed with a sledgehammer. (Don't try this at home!)