Dr. Farhad Reza, Department Chair, Professor
PhD, PE | Faculty
Dr. Farhad Reza, P.E., joined the Civil Engineering faculty at MSU in August 2009. He is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. Before joining MSU, Dr. Reza was an Assistant then Associate Professor at Ohio Northern University where he taught for eight years. Dr. Reza's industrial experience includes working with Washington Group International, Cutting Edge Group, and several private consulting jobs. His teaching interests include structural analysis and design, and engineering mechanics.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Civil & Environmental Engineering), Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, Dec. 2001. Major Field: Structural Engineering; Minor Field: Engineering Mechanics
- Master of Engineering (Civil Engineering), Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, 1996. Concentration: Structural Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1995.
- Registered Professional Engineer, States of Minnesota and Ohio
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education
Bridges Performance and Structural Health Monitoring
- High friction epoxy/aggregate treatment for bridge decks: Minnesota Department of Transportation. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TRS/2012/TRS1212.pdf
- Synthesis of bridge approach panels best practices: Minnesota Department of Transportation. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2013/201309.pdf
Material Properties and Characterization
- Recycled concrete aggregates in concrete pavements: Minnesota Department of Transportation. www.dot.state.mn.us/research/reports/2017/201706.pdf
- Use of recycled brick as aggregates: Minnesota Department of Transportation. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2013/201321.pdf
Pavement Performance and Design
- Construction Incentives – Are they working?: Minnesota Department of Transportation.
- Presidential Teaching Scholar Fellow (Summer 2013), Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Recognition for Pursuit of External Funding (2012), Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Ahmed, H., Bazlamit, S. M., and Reza, F. 2019. “Thermal Changes in Concrete Pavement Skid Resistance.” Transport, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Reza, F. 2018. “Flexural Toughness Measurements on High-Strength Steel Fiber-Reinforced Concrete.” Modern Civil and Structural Engineering. Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 39-52.
- Reza, F., Wilde, W. J., and Izevbekhai, B. 2018. “Sustainability of using Recycled Concrete Aggregate as Coarse Aggregate in Concrete Pavements.” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the TRB. pp 1-10.
- Reza, F., Wilde, W. J., and Izevbekhai, B. 2018. “Sustainability of using Recycled Concrete Aggregate in Concrete Pavements.” 97th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January 7-11, 2018. Washington, D.C.
- Reza, F., Wilde, W. J., and Izevbekhai, B. 2018. “Performance of Recycled Concrete Aggregate Pavements Based on Historical Condition Data.” International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Taylor and Francis. 2018-07-30.
- Reza, F. and Wilde, W. J., 2016, “Recycled Concrete Aggregate Use and Its Performance in the US,” 9th International Conference: Environment, Efficiency and Economic Challenges for Concrete, Univ. of Dundee, UK, July 4-6.
- Reza, F. and Boriboonsomsin, K., 2015, Chapter 3: Pavements made of concrete with high solar reflectance. In F. Pacheco-Torgal, J. Labrincha, L. Cabeza & C. G. Granqvist (Eds.) Eco-efficient materials for mitigating building cooling needs: Design, properties and applications (pp. 37-62). Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering (an imprint of Elsevier), Cambridge, U.K.
- Reza, F., 2013, “Lap Splice Bond Tests in Self-Consolidating Concrete,” International Journal of Civil Engineering Research, Vol. 4. No.1, pp. 15-28.
- Reza, F., 2012, “Impedance Monitoring for Assessment of Corrosion,” 8th International Conference: Concrete in the Low Carbon Era, Univ. of Dundee, UK, July 9-11.