Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: When can I complete an internship?

Internships may be completed during any semester of the academic year – fall, spring, or summer. If you receive financial aid or are an international student, additional paperwork is needed (see below).

You should begin applying for internships as soon as you finish the second programming course and your first database course. Other courses may be needed if you wish to specialize in a certain discipline (i.e. Information Security). Internships will be approved as early as the summer after your second year of school.

Q2: I receive financial aid. Will I be considered full-time during fall or spring semesters?

No. If you only register for internship credits, you will not have enough credits to automatically be considered full-time. To maintain full-time student status so that you do not use time on your student loan grace period, you also need to enroll in the Co-op course. Discuss this with the Internship Coordinator.

Q3: I am an international student, can I take a full-time internship during fall or spring semester?

Yes. If the internship is full-time during fall or spring semester and you will not be enrolled in 12 credits. You will need to enroll in the Co-op course be considered a full-time student. Discuss this with the Internship Coordinator.

Q4: I am an international student, how do I get permission to do an off-campus internship?

As soon as you submit the internship application in the CIS Internship Portal, you need to fill out the CPT form. Use the interactive .pdf file found at Save the file leaving the field active. Email this form to the Internship Coordinator for the approval signature.

Q5: I have tried to find an internship, but have not been successful. What should I do?

The internship is a required element of our programs so that all students graduate with the greatest potential of securing full-time work in the field. This is particularly important for international students who hope to work in the U.S. rather than returning to their home country after graduation. However, we do understand that there are occasions when students are unsuccessful in securing work. The following explains what the department has expected of students prior to considering an exception.

You must demonstrate that you’ve tried to find a position using evidence of at least 10 rejection letters and/or email follow up correspondence if the company did not send a rejection letter. You need to have a date that you met with someone in the Career Development Center to assist you with your resume and interviewing skills. Once these are compiled, they can be email to me. You should also attach your DARS report.

If the Internship Coordinator agrees that you have exhausted all attempts to find an internship, then we can identify a course that is not part of the required courses that you can use to fulfill the internship requirement. Consultation with the students advisor is also a step in the process before a recommendation is made to the Department Chair. The Chair may also ask to meet with the student as the substitution request is evaluated.

Q6: I have received a full-time job offer but have not finished the internship, what should I do?

This may be a situation that is eligible for the exception where you would be allowed to replace the internship credits with a course. Discuss this situation with the Internship Coordinator.

Q7: I am in a part-time internship. Do I need to apply every semester?

Yes. The application on the CIS Internship Portal must be completed for each semester that you wish to enroll in IT 497/IT 597.

Q8: How do I get a grade for my internship?

Internships receive either a P indicating that you have passed or a NC indicating that you did not fulfill all the requirements of the internship. There are five required things that must be submitted on D2L upon completion of your internship. These need to be submitted for every semester that you are enrolled, even if you are continuing in the same position. The five items include evidence of the hours worked, a written report of 2 or more pages, your current transcript to verify enrollment, a survey response by you, and a survey indicating successful performance completed by your supervisor.